Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thoughts on YA Literature: Princess of the Midnight Ball (Jessica Day George)

Jessica Day George's novel Princess of the Midnight Ball was rather enjoyable. I was not able to make many connections between what happened within the plot and my own life. I suppose the reason why it was satisfactory is the fact that I grew up reading and watching videos that had to do with the Disney Princesses. I think that being able to comprehend the plot within any novel because of your experiences is an important factor. Students oftentimes pick novels to read for pleasure based on the idea that the novel's central theme is around something that they are interested in and/or have experiences in. For the most part, young adults that are athletic and/or merely just have an interest in books will pick up books that are centralized around sports. The same applies to young adults that have experiences and preferences about fantasy-- princesses that live in large castles with a white knight in shining armor to whisk them away towards a life of perfection.

My favorite character is Pansy. She is (I believe) the youngest sister out of the twelve. She plays her role very well within the book, especially when Galen sneaks into the Midnight Ball to “figure things out” about the princesses. Her status among her sisters allowed readers to identify her as the naïve sister that is easiest to sway. This type of personality adhered to Pansy as a character was then used as a literary device in order for the progression of the plot to take place. It is from Pansy that Galen finds out a bit more from one of the sisters as to why they disappear from their chambers in order to escape below the Earth to participate in the Midnight Ball against their wills.

I wish that the story was not as predictable as it was laid out to be. It is perhaps that I grew up reading materials such as Princess of the Midnight Ball that I have become quite jaded. I find that the repetition of such turns of events has become overused. Although the text itself does not say that the characters all lived happily ever after, it was implied. And such an ending truly bothers me. Although this “happily ever after” sense is supposed to bring closure to readers, like all matters, it becomes old after a while. In a way, I felt cheated because the novel followed a similar plot line to what I am used to: Princess is under distress. A Prince-like figure finds out. He snoops around. Finds a way to save said Princess. He saves her. They marry. Happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment