Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thoughts on YA Literature: Nelson Mandela (Y-KIDS)

I have read many manga before Y-KIDS’ Nelson Mandela. I wasn’t expecting anything different until I finally managed to get a copy of one in my hands. The first thing I noticed was that the format of the book was the traditional American-style (if I may call it that) instead of the Japanese-style. But all was forgiven as I started to read the manga itself. I love the way that someone decided to implement history with 21st century literacy. I have never thought that such a thing would happen. Personally, I have experience with parents that look at any form of cartoon to be a waste of time. I would have never picked up any sort of biography if it weren’t for something like this. I enjoyed the fictional aspect to the manga, as well as the actual biographical information that is presented. I like how there are appendixes at the end of the book to further explain the life of Nelson Mandela; why he is important, etc.

A question I have is: how closely related is the manga to the actual historical events that took place with Nelson Mandela’s life? How condense is this graphic novel to the accounts that lead up to Nelson Mandela’s presidency? I wonder, although these historical biographies are meant for kids (I assume because of the author Y-KIDS), how much has been left out about Mandela and how much information these writers and publishers are spelling out for their young audiences. Is there some sort of censorship between the realities of historical figures not including Mandela? If so, is it really necessary?

Frankly, I am not a person that has ever been interested in history—so Nelson Mandela was just another name that I have heard. I began to think of other figures of history that I have missed out on. This manga may have just as well opened new doors for me to venture. I wonder if there are any other publications such as this one (aside from those listed on the syllabus and in the back of the book). I am sure that what I felt with this Y-KIDS’ production would be similar to other readers. I am quite anxious to see what the other manga by Y-KIDS are like. I also hope that there will be more productions similar to this for its audience. As of now, if I were to be teaching historical figures to young children, I would use these novels as an introductory point for them. And with that I hope that students become interested because of the way that these biographies are being presented; it is definitely one of the much enjoyable ways to learn content, and I feel that that, to some extent, we must conform to what keeps our students interested and motivated to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment