Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thoughts on YA Literature: Need (Carrie Jones)

I was excited when I first heard about this book. Quite honestly, I thought that I would enjoy reading this novel first. I was surprised when I began to read the text, thinking that it would be “awesome.” I quickly became aware that this novel was not going to be as exciting as I thought it was going to be. I did not even reach halfway through the book. I was confused when this happened; but as time permitted, I put down the book and started to read another one. I allowed myself a little break from Carrie Jones’ novel, coming back a few days later to finish the rest of the story. I noticed personally that this novel is not one that I could have read straight through without taking a break. I thought that there were too many instances where information was lacking; but perhaps it was the way that the author had wanted that to be. Personally, I sensed no real excitement even though I knew what was happening with Zara and her friends. I felt that I was thrown into a world unbeknownst to myself although the plot seemed clear for me.

I have come up with a theory: that there just has to be a prequel to this novel that would have made better sense of what was going on with the protagonist, her family and friends. I felt incomplete at the end of the book because I didn’t feel that the novel should have been “the beginning;” it felt like a sequel to another book that isn’t in print because this novel is where the series starts. I like the scheme of where the author is going with the novel. I think that Jones could have done better with introducing the Need series.

My favorite part would be Zara’s encounter of her otherness. Although I did not care much for Jones’ style in textual combat, I thought that was perhaps one of the exciting parts of the novel. I sensed a bit of symbolism between Zara and her entombment of her own identity as she and her friends drove away from the scene. I could see that she really believe or want to believe that she was an actual part of the mythical realm. Because of this belief of what the scene meant, I believe that this novel contributes much to the idea that YA literature’s primary make-up of being a coming-to-age or self-discovery plotline.

My favorite character is Issie because it really seemed that even though there were so many things happening within the story, she is generally the only character that would be considered normal, happy and pleasant. I believe that Issie is a character that Jones intentionally placed into the novel to balance out everything else that was happening between Zara, Devyn, Nick, and Betty. At the same time, as one progresses through the novel, there was never really a moment where Issie does not consider herself to be any less part of the “group;” and there is never a time where her friends block her completely from whatever situation. It proves then that Issie, to her friends, is a vital part of their team.

Perhaps another go for this book; I have not given up on it yet! And I’m sure her other novels will do the series justice. Although I did not enjoy Jones’ first novel, the book was quite an interesting read. At the moment, I wonder if Jones makes up for the openness in her sequel; perhaps that is why I felt the way I did when I finished Need. I hope that by the time I am finished with the rest of her novels that I would feel differently. I have really enjoyed the content that Jones presents within her novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment